20 December 2013

Pear and thistle

Several weeks ago, I was in new york, and, among other adventures, joined my sister and friends for late night cocktails at Jean Georges.  They knew I would select the Pear and Thistle, a mixture (per the Internet) of  Glenlivet, pear and cremant de bourgogne.  Delightful, and no headache.  So, I decided to try my mixology skills at home.  For weeks I look for cremant de bourgogne to no avail. One day, I am at the checkout at Trader Joes, and Looking around, there is an end cap advertising cremant de bourgogne!  I jump off line, read the laBels, and grab a bottle.
So, tonight I try to recreate the drink.  
First, I go to our stash to see what scotch is available.  I pull a15yr Glennfidduch.  My husband vetoes that, seeing as we should enjoy that neat,  so we open a bottle of less pedigreed Glenfidduch - a highland being a highland.  Then, I whir  a sliced, peeled pear with a squeeze of lemon, shake it with ice and a jigger  of scotch and cardamom, strain, and top with the bubbly in a martini glass.  After 3 tries, I got the texture, if not the taste.  I am missing the depth of the spices, I think, as the recipe uses star anise, which is not in my pantry.  But, it was a yummy way to spend a Friday evening the day before the solstice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment