Last week was a good food week, with all the fruits and vegetables from our garden !
Monday was a slow roasted Beef Roast (with green beans and baked Acorn Squash). The roast was rubbed with a mixture of garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper and allowed to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking. The squash (and the roast) was baked per The Joy of Cooking, with brown sugar and cinnamon and butter added for last 20 or so minutes of baking, after the roast beef had been removed from the oven to rest before serving.
Tuesday was something pretty tasty (it eludes me now) with Apple Crisp for desert
Wednesday was Shephard's Pie with the left over roast (saving a slice for my lunch sandwich the next day!)
Thursday was Cream of Tomato Soup from Fannie Farmer Cookbook and grilled Muenster Cheese sandwiches. Again, with Apple Crisp for desert. I used yellow, plum, Brandywine and Green Zebra tomatos from the garden, and I replaced half of the milk with chicken stock. We all woke up the next morning with our tummies rumbling, so this wasn't a particularly enduring meal.
Friday was pasta and tomato sauce (scavenged from freezer) with cheese toasts.
Saturday was Butternut Squash risotto. I would like to try this with roasted squash, which I think would provide overall more flavor - but I didn't have the time to try it this time!
Sunday was Pork Roast, green beans and candied butternut squash. The roast was slow roasted with a garlic, thyme and olive oil rub. The thyme was from a newly opened jar from Simply Organic, and has a very yummy lemony taste to it which was great with the pork. The squash was from the other half of the squash we used on Friday. I popped the roast in the oven and off we went for a lovely early fall bike ride through the neighborhood! We had lots of apple sauce from the pantry, that I put up last year.
We put the tunnel cloches back on the green beans, peppers and eggplants to eke out the last of the season. The night temperatures are high-30's to low-40's, and most of the sun is off the garden, except late afternoon.
We've pulled most of the tomato plants. I brought in the last of the green plum tomatos to ripen. I brought some in last week, and they've done a great job! So now I am searching for yellow tomato recipes.
I'll be making some Yellow Tomato Pasta sauce and maybe some relish
Greg brought in all of the winter squashes. According to my references, they should keep for many months if properly stored. We'll see . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment