31 October 2009

October eats

We were busy this month.
Highlights were fresh Tomato Soup, S'more cupcakes, chili and Eggplant Parmesan - using eggplant from our garden.  And the usual Spaghetti with meatballs for Sara's birthday dinner.

We took out the remaining plants, put the lettuce back under cover, just in time for the first light frost.  Lettuce disaster averted, and our first fall salad was yummy and fresh!

Sara's birthday party was at a Haunted Halloween Hike at a local nature preserve.  It was a lovely, 60 degree evening (surprisingly!) and the 14 girls were in costume, and learned about animal night life.  We made S'more cupcakes to enhance the outdoor experience!

The eggplant parmesan recipe was from the Joy of Cooking.  Fairly easy, if you give yourself enough time, and really filling.  I used Trader Joe Organic Marinara sauce, as a shortcut.

Mom made the meatballs for Sara's birthday dinner.  She had never done it the Joy of cooking way:  Dredge the meatballs in flour before frying.  The flour acts as a thickener to the fresh tomato sauce.  She was quite pleased with the results!  I don't believe we had many leftovers.

We also had some friends over to hang out and eat and watch sports on TV.  I made a great chili from the Joy of Cooking - Cincinnati Chili Cockaigne.  I modified the recipe, using ground beef and sausage, and toasting the spices before adding to the mixture.  I added black, white and kidney beans into the mix during the cooling time, so the beans would get flavor, but not fall apart.  Served over rice, with sour cream, onion and cheese toppings - way yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment