Sara and I made pizza for dinner on Saturday. I saved the half of the dough in the refrigerator to use another day. I read in the Big Sur Bakery cookbook that 1 or 2 day old dough is better than fresh. How so, I asked. So I thought I would try for myself.
I wrapped the dough in plastic and put it into the refrigerator. Believing that since it had risen, and the refrigeration would retard the yeast activity, I thought the plastic wrap was fine. When I went back into the refrigerator a few hours later, the dough had escaped it's confines! I tossed it into a plastic container, and hoped for the best.
We finally got to the dough THREE days later. It may not have been the freshest but it rolled out really well. Fresh dough is too elastic to roll. This dough rolled to the thinnest crust I have ever made! We made our usual half cheese, half whatever Mom wants. Sara noted that it would have been better with cornmeal on the crust. Oops. We saved a fourth of the dough for a chocolate dessert pizza. Sara loved it. It's a bit sweet for my tastes, but it was a great incentive to get through dinner and to get her excited about her lunch for tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment