05 March 2010

A slow-cooker kind of day

So we could eat dinner at a reasonable hour since Sara had riding lessons, I made this recipe today for Tangy Pork and Sweet Potatoes. This was cut from a newspaper and on the side of the refrigerator forever.  I saw it, and thought I would make it.  It was a nice surprise that it was for a slow cooker too!

Tangy Pork and Sweet Potatoes

1 1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes ( I seared whole pork tenderloin, then cut into slices)
6 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (I let the potatoes cook in the pan used for the pork for a few minutes before putting into crock)
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
2 cups prepared hickory flavored barbecue sauce, divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced

Place pork in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Top with sweet potatoes and onion.

Combine 1 cup barbecue sauce, mustard and garlic. Spoon over pork, potatoes and onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 1/2 to 7 hours or until pork and potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining 1 cup barbecue sauce. (definitely go for 7 hours, if your potatoes are larger than 1" cube)

Suggested serving was with salad and crusty bread. 
I served green beans and mini corn muffins.  I would love this with some black beans added at the end, and maybe with more chipotle or cumin.

No comments:

Post a Comment