I am reading the book, 52 Loaves. Although I am not as hung up on hole-y bread, it inspired me to do further research on bread making techniques. I was particularly intrigued with the idea of autolyse. So, the first thing I did upon my return from our trip was make a batch of whole wheat bread.
I mixed up the flour, sugar, salt and water/milk in the mixer bowl, covered it and went shopping. When we came back, I hydrated the yeast, kneaded it in, and walked away. When the dough rose, I formed it into two loaves: to one I added sunflower seeds and walnuts; the other was a cinnamon loaf. Both turned out better than prior whole wheat loaves with less whole wheat content. They had a better crown than prior loaves.
I read a recipe from Everyday food on quick Brown Sugar Pecan Sticky rolls, and thought I would modify the technique for my cinnamon loaf. I melted butter, and spread it on the flattened dough, then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and rolled it into a loaf. For winging it, it was the right amount of cinnamon sugar.
In the book, the author said that after learning about autolyse, he never used his mixer again for kneading. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet. But Dug, if you're reading this . . . next stop, Paris.
No comments:
Post a Comment